Share This Article
Article Summary
Chad Doerman told investigators he killed his three sons “for God,” according to a newly released video. Doerman said he “knew what he had to do” after attending a church service in Amelia on the day of the June 2023 killings. He pleaded guilty in August 2024 and received three aggravated murder convictions and two felonious assault convictions.
Ohio father Chad Doerman’s “for God” claim has renewed attention on the 2023 killings of his three sons.
The newly released video shows Doerman describing what he said drove him to act after attending a church service in Amelia.
The video provides new details about Doerman’s thinking before he killed his three sons in Clermont County. The killings happened on June 15, 2023, at the family’s Monroe Township home.
According to FOX19 NOW, Doerman told investigators he killed the boys “for God.” He also said he “knew what he had to do” after attending a church service in Amelia earlier that day.
The statements offer additional information about a case that drew national attention across Ohio. They also provide more context about statements prosecutors had previously presented in court.
Doerman killed his sons Clayton, Hunter and Chase, according to court records and local news reports. Clayton was 7 years old, Hunter was 4, and Chase was 3.
Investigators also said Doerman shot his former wife in the hand. His stepdaughter also survived the attack, and prosecutors later charged him with felonious assault in connection with the two survivors.
Ohio father’s ‘for God’ claim adds to known case details
The newly released footage adds to information that prosecutors revealed during the criminal case. Earlier court filings described Doerman carrying a Bible around the house before the killings.
According to WCPO, prosecutors said Doerman repeatedly mumbled, “Chad knows what’s right,” while walking through the home with the Bible.
Prosecutors also described disturbing behavior in the hours before the shootings. The evidence showed that Doerman appeared increasingly focused on religious ideas and questions about heaven and hell.
Those details became part of the prosecution’s account of what happened before the killings. However, the exact motive remained a major question throughout the case.
The new video now gives the public another look at Doerman’s own explanation.
That explanation should be distinguished from an independent finding about his motive. Doerman’s statements describe his personal beliefs and thinking at the time.
Earlier reports also showed that prosecutors had described the killings as planned rather than spontaneous. WCPO reported that prosecutors said Doerman had thought about killing his children for months.
The prosecution also presented evidence about his actions on the day of the killings. According to court reporting, he returned home early from work and spent time with his family before the attack.
Church service preceded the Ohio father’s actions
The church service in Amelia appears to be an important part of the newly reported timeline.
According to FOX19 NOW, Doerman attended the service on the same day he killed his three sons. He later told investigators that he knew what he had to do.
The new footage reportedly captures Doerman discussing religious themes that he believed applied to his situation. He also described beliefs involving hell and the coming of Jesus.
Those statements add context to evidence prosecutors previously presented. WCPO reported in 2024 that prosecutors discussed Doerman’s statements about heaven and hell during the plea proceedings.
The case also involved questions about Doerman’s mental state. Prosecutors said he underwent multiple evaluations before his guilty plea.
WCPO reported that mental health experts did not find that he met the legal criteria for an insanity defense. Prosecutors also pointed out that Doerman did not seek mental health treatment in the days leading up to the killings or while in jail.
That distinction matters because religious statements alone do not establish a legal insanity defense. Ohio law requires specific legal criteria before a defendant can successfully use that defense.
The newly released video therefore provides additional evidence about what Doerman said. It does not change the legal outcome of the case.
Ohio father pleaded guilty in 2024
Doerman pleaded guilty in August 2024, ending the criminal case before a jury trial could take place.
He pleaded guilty to three counts of aggravated murder. Each count involved one of his three sons.
He also pleaded guilty to two counts of felonious assault involving his former wife and stepdaughter.
According to WCPO, the plea agreement removed the possibility of a death sentence. A judge sentenced Doerman to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
WLWT later reported that Doerman was booked into an Ohio prison to begin serving his life sentence.
The plea also meant prosecutors did not have to present the entire case to a jury. As a result, some evidence became public through court filings, hearings and later releases rather than through a completed trial.
That included details about Doerman’s statements, behavior and actions before the killings.
The case had initially involved significantly more charges. Prosecutors had charged Doerman with aggravated murder, kidnapping and felonious assault before the plea agreement reduced the charges.
The three murder convictions remain the central findings in the case.
What happened to the three boys
The killings happened at the family’s home on Laurel Lindale Road in Monroe Township.
Clermont County dispatchers received a 911 call shortly after 4 p.m. on June 15, 2023, reporting a shooting.
According to WCPO, deputies arrived and found the three boys suffering from gunshot wounds. Emergency crews attempted lifesaving measures, but the children died at the scene.
Doerman remained at the property when deputies arrived. Body-camera footage released by the Clermont County Sheriff’s Office showed deputies taking him into custody outside the home.
WLWT reported that Doerman was sitting near the residence when officers detained him.
The case quickly became one of the most closely watched criminal investigations in the Greater Cincinnati region. The ages of the victims and their relationship to the suspect drew widespread attention.
The three boys were:
- Clayton Doerman, 7
- Hunter Doerman, 4
- Chase Doerman, 3
The boys’ mother survived the shooting despite suffering a gunshot wound to her hand. Their older sister also survived the incident.
Ohio father’s statements do not change his sentence
The newly released video does not alter Doerman’s current legal status.
He remains imprisoned under a life-without-parole sentence following his 2024 guilty plea. The sentence resulted from the three aggravated murder convictions and two felonious assault convictions.
The footage instead provides additional information about his statements surrounding the killings.
The religious references are particularly significant because prosecutors had previously discussed similar statements in court. The new footage gives viewers more direct access to Doerman’s account.
However, his explanation remains his own characterization of what happened. It should not be presented as an established religious motive without qualification.
The evidence previously presented in court established that Doerman killed his three sons. His guilty plea also removed the need for prosecutors to prove those charges at trial.
The new video adds another layer to the public record of the case. It may also renew questions about what Doerman was thinking before the killings and whether earlier warning signs could have been recognized.
For now, the most significant development is the release of footage that reveals more about Doerman’s own explanation for the killings. His “for God” statement provides new insight into the case while leaving many questions about his thinking and actions for continued examination.
FAQs
What did Chad Doerman say in the newly released video?
According to FOX19 NOW, Doerman said he killed his three sons “for God.” He also said he “knew what he had to do” after attending a church service in Amelia on the day of the killings.
Who were Chad Doerman’s victims?
Doerman’s victims were his three sons, Clayton, Hunter and Chase. The boys were 7, 4 and 3 years old when they were killed in June 2023.
What was Chad Doerman sentenced to?
Doerman pleaded guilty to three counts of aggravated murder and two counts of felonious assault in August 2024. A Clermont County judge sentenced him to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Did prosecutors previously discuss Doerman’s religious beliefs?
Yes. Prosecutors previously presented evidence involving Doerman’s statements about heaven, hell and religion. WCPO reported that prosecutors also described him carrying a Bible and making religious statements before the killings.



